The amazing La Petite Table Nippone in Fulford has been voted the best restaurant of the Eastern Townships in the first-ever readers' survey of the Best of the Eastern Townships blog. This rustic little hideaway on a back road between Bromont and Foster is probably the cutest sushi spot in Quebec. Apart from delicious, fresh sushi, the chef makes his own samurai swords. How authentic is that. He and his wife are one of the sweetest couples you'll ever meet in charge of a restaurant and are very kid-friendly on top of everything else. (The chef served our kids butterfly-shaped carrots!) They also cater. Address: 256 Fulford Rd., Fulford, tel.: 450-539-4480, website: Sushi-Traiteur.qc.ca.
Second prize goes to Le Relais in Knowlton. Located in a 150-year-old building that houses the oldest continually operating hotel in the Townships, Le Relais focuses on local ingredients (including Brome Lake duck) and is a favourite of locals especially for its weekly specials, which offer some of the best restaurant deals in the region. Address: 286 chemin Knowlton, Knowlton, tel.: 450-242-2232, website: AubergeKnowlton.ca.
Congratulations to the winners, and many thanks to everyone who voted.
Honourable mentions go to:
- The remarkably excellent Royaume du Steak, one of the best steak houses in Quebec. As good as Moishe's, Montreal's finest steak place, but half the price. Go now. The caribou medallions make me crazy. Address: 300 rue Lewis, Waterloo, tel.: 450-539-0811.
- Restaurant Shalimar of Lennoxville, the Townships' only Indian restaurant. Address: 263 rue Queen, Lennoxville, tel.: 819-823-9683, website.
- The delectable Café Massawippi of North Hatley. Try the insanely good foie gras and surprising yellow wine. Address: 3050 rue Capelton, North Hatley, website: CafeMassawippi.com.
- Sutton's Bistro Beaux Lieux. Laid-back Suttonesque gastronomie. Address: 19 rue Principale Nord, Sutton, tel.: 450-538-1444, website: BistroBeauxLieux.com.
- Bistro Olaf of Cowansville. Address: 1105 rue Sud, Cowansville, tel.: 450-260-1105.
Be sure to check my Eats & Drinks listings page for reviews of all of these and many other tasty Townships restos. (Scroll down to my "Restaurants" post.) Your comments and suggestions are welcome!
NOTE TO VISITORS TO THIS SITE (YEAH, YOU!): This site (and the listings linked to the right) rely a lot on your contributions and ideas. Please comment on any places mentioned in my listings and share your suggestions for new ones. I'd also love to hear from you on other "Best of the Townships" spots to check out and include (restaurants, bars, farms, spas, B&Bs, stores, services, events, etc.)